Announce and discuss ride events.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Independence: Shocking

Post by toratora » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Currently, and for the foreseeable future I'm likely to be just a Derbi guy. I may get lucky and get the last GPR that they made which has the classic RS frame, but with a Derbi inspired swing arm. I don't know if they can use the same shock or not. Remington might know, and soon RJ will have enough parts at his house to be abel to determine too.

On my Wicked GPR I have an Ohlins from a Cobra mini motocrosser. On the Red bike and now on the Track bike I have a shock Owen gave me from a local place that makes high end MTB shocks. I'm not sure which one I have...it looks like the Risse Jupiter 7 with the 5R reservoir. So something between $400 and $600, and they will make it custom to the size and fittings for your bike. ;)

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Independence Sunday July 3rd 2016

Post by toratora » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:39 pm

Wolfman$ wrote:The derbi's are better bikes for sure and there's still a few about but getting scarce every day. Heres a deal that might be worth going over for...it'd take me a day to break it and ship. Would suck to do the trip but what a nice track weapon.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Independence Dreaming of the Track

Post by toratora » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:39 am

I think the engine is most certainly better on the Derbi, but both bikes are good. They are equal enough that the rider will make the difference. At you can spend a bunch of money on the AM6 to get the tranny and clutch up to spec (where the Derbi is better). As far the the crank and top end go you replace those on both of them anyway so those parts really don't matter much. Stock the Derbi came with a much better crank, tranny, clutch, carb, and the Euro3 (which came in the then current, and now current Aprilias) even has a multi-part head for way better cooling.

So you have an affordable way to ship bikes from outside the States to the States? Chris is in Europe right now so it's not like you'd even have to go over there...plus probably half the folks that post to this part of the foro are from Europe. :lol:

And just so that you know--owning one of these bikes (the Benelli framed GPR) I can say that they aren't really good for the track. It's by far my favorite bike I've owned, but I can say that there are much much much better bikes for the track. Here's one that I'm seriously thinking about...
The RMU GP8

There are designed for the track race bikes. They come with a number of different engines. This one, the RMU GP8 comes with a Derbi Euro3 engine punked out with a bunch of Malossi kit to around 27hp. =8<>

If you get one of these and put a Metrakit top end on it you could run it in the GP65 class. ;)
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Independence Sunday July 3rd 2016

Post by toratora » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Wolfman$ wrote:Tora, if I was gonna race again that would be a nice modern option. My racing days might be behind me but track days are still fun and I can still lay down decent numbers for being old and fat (jk) I have found that nothing keeps me sharp like motocross does so that's what I've been doing the most lately to stay in shape.

Ed
Rj_666 wrote:Nice to have another member of the 'Old and Fat' club here :)
(I'm 58, around 275...)
It brings another level of challenge to our riding and enjoying these little bikes, doesn't it ?
Wolfman$ wrote:True rj, if I had known I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care ... Err NO! Too much fun going fast!!! I made it to 205lbs before I changed some things. Im 6'2" so more tall than fat now. @ 49 I'm 186lbs now :D:D:D:D:D
0 x