Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: The Silver Bike

Post by toratora » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 am

It will be really nice to get this bike back on the road, and with the Stage6 BR77 it's going to be a whole lot of fun too.
2 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Re: Derbi—The Red Power

Post by jkv357 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 am

"The exterior is a replica of the original cylinder with a 49cc stamp; don't worry, this is definitely a 77cc cylinder!"

I was wondering about that...
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: The Silver Bike get's the Red Bike's Engine

Post by toratora » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Okay this engine is suppose to go in the Red Bike, but that's obviously not going to happen anytime soon, so it might as well end up in the Silver bike even if only for now. This was basically a SWAT mission, so there's very few photos. I had a lot of trouble with the throttle, and cable. Those are going to have to be replaced. The engine started right up, and runs great, but there is a noise coming from what appears to be behind the clutch cover. So I'm going to have to drain fluids, and check it out. It was sad because it would have been so much fun to ride this bike in the hills. Eventually though I'll get it sorted, and while doing that more photos showing the stuff done during the build will appear too.

3 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Silver Bike: Primary Issue

Post by toratora » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:39 pm

Trying to figure out the noise coming from within the clutch cover. Near as I can figure it sounds like the primary drive gear is a little too tight on the clutch basket gear. Ed says I should source another primary gear. Not sure where this one came from, but it is necessary to switch the gear because most of the performance cranks use Senda gears rather than GPR gears.

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: The Malossi Bike

Post by toratora » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Have to get the Malossi bike ready for Sunday!!
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Tail Light Interchange—Second Edition GPR

Post by toratora » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:39 pm

Second Edition Derbi GPR Tail Light
I learned something interesting hanging out with RD, and Joe this weekend. One of their friends picked up an older BMW F650GS. The bike was in really poor shape so RD was assessing how to go about brining it back to life. While he had it apart I noticed that the tail light is the same unit employed on the Second Edition GPRs. Now I knew from perusing EasyParts that the Yamaha Aerox scooter also employs the same lamp, but the BMW was news to me.

Now this all makes sense since many of these companies pull their parts from the same suppliers. If you look at switch gear you'll see very similar Domino switches on a lot of different bikes. This is just standard practice to keep prices down. For those of us keep old bikes on the road it's nice to know about the options. ;)

► Show Spoiler
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Gears

Post by toratora » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 am

It was determined that the sound coming from the engine was created by the primary gear's interaction with the gear on the clutch basket. I had another gear that I was going to swap out, but it was the same as what was already installed, so it wouldn't have made a difference to swap it out.

The clutch cover had a Metrakit mechanism fitted where the kickstarter would be installed. This doesn't play well with the GPR frame, so I had to remove it, and replace in with the plug from a GPR cover. A small bit of sealant to keep it from leaking was employed. These plugs are press fit into the cover.
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Moving

Post by toratora » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:39 pm

Moving
Today was moving day. The storage place has consistently raised the rates at my storage to the point where I can no longer afford it. Even moving in was a bit a stretch, but now it's well beyond my ability.

Mike came down with his van, and we were able to move everything with three trips. It took us all day, and I'm totally exhausted. Mike was awesome. He's as good if not better at van tetras than I am. It was so nice to work with someone that I could totally depend on. He totally helped me out, and without his help I would have really been stuck. Thank goodness for awesome friends. ❤️❤️❤️

I didn't get many photos. We just had so much to do that I kept forgetting to take advantage of those Kodak moments. It's too bad I missed getting one of all the storage bins in the van. That was impressive!

4 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Silver Life

Post by toratora » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:39 pm

I really want to get the Silver bike back on the road. It's such a nice bike, and so much fun to ride that it just hurts to have it not being enjoyed.

Before the exodus I was making pretty good progress, but that all came to a halt, and parts are now somewhat challenging to locate. Still some progress occurred today. I was able to grab a few hours to wrench. Sadly though it got dark rather quickly, and this became much of a brail operation.

I started out with the fluids, and that included the coolant. That went fairly well and straight forward.

Next up was the tranny oil. To achieve this means removing the carb as it occludes the filler. This is one of the disadvantages of installing a 24mm carb.

With the carb out of the way the oil could flow. I use the Motul Transoil. The Derbi takes about 650ml, but you want to check it with the bleed bolt.

The last thing on the agenda, well at least for this night, was the throttle/cable setup. The previous cable was too short, and the throttle seemed to have an issue. I had another cable, and throttle, and I figure with the two of them I could make a working system. I was about half right!

Seems this cable was out of commission because it binds holding the throttle open. But it was longer, and therefore slightly better. The end of it though had trouble fitting into the slide, so it had to be shortened.

While engaged in these blind shenanigans the needle fell out, and down to the cardboard sticking in like a knife during a game of Mumblety-peg.

Eventually I was able to Stevie Wonder my way through the process simply because I've done this so many times now. With the bike together it was time to start it up. It really didn't want to start up. Probably because in my dilapidated state I'm really not able to do these sorts of things.

I thought it might have been a fouled plug. Pulled it, and cleaned it. I noticed that the plug wire had come out of the coil, so I fixed that, and gave it another go. Still didn't want to start. It was quite dark now, and really I was exhausted.

I really wanted to hear the bike startup so I gave it one more go pushing it with all that I had left. Sure enough it fired right up. I was once again a happy camper. There just isn't anything as sweet sounding as a two stroke starting up after enduring so much effort to achieve said music. :D
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Street Cleaning

Post by toratora » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Moving the bikes for street cleaning provides some inspection time. I found a couple of issues with the bikes. The Malossi bike sprung a water leak. One of the coolant hoses seems to have split down the middle. Thankfully this is a generic hose that I can pickup at the local auto parts store.

On the Silver bike the master cylinder reservoir cap is dribbling. If the resources were abundant I would say this is an excellent opportunity to order an RCS. :P But alas that is not the case, and for now I'll have to come up with an alternative solution.

There's always something to work on with bikes. :shock:
0 x