Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Pot of gold

Post by toratora » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:39 pm

Had a chance to head over to Ed's shop today to work on Louis's forks. There was a nice rainbow to great me. :) As noted previously I don't have a tool strong enough to told the shaft while torquing the top inside bolt. It's only 17 Nm, but that's enough to bend all of my tools. This time Ed's fancy SnapOn punch broke too! So he ground it down to make another sort of punch out of it. Eventually though we got the proper torque setting (well Ed did!), and then it was time to pour in the oil. These Sebac forks take 120mm of 10 weight. The older Derbi forks take 175mm.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Little Adventure Time

Post by toratora » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:39 pm

We've been getting so much rain lately, which is making up for the long drought that we've been suffering. For me it's a bit of a flip flop. When I didn't have a bike we had all this great riding weather, and now that I have a bike it's all raining. But I can't let that stop me from riding! Even with the rain, the pain in my arms and legs, and all the idiot drivers, it's still so absolutely wonderful to be riding again. Thank you Derbi. :)

I got to test out the adjusted shift lever. It feels like it would be nice to have a position that was not quite as low as one notch down, but I find it much nicer than where it was previously. I also probably got to the snowmobile oil. Didn't notice too much difference. Maybe that the bike started a little bit easier, but then it has warmed up, and that could easily explain the easier starts. I'm still having to push start it for the first start of the day. After that it's fine. The battery is turning it over, but it doesn't seem strong enough after the bike has been siting over night.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: The bike must be ridden

Post by toratora » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:39 pm

With all this rain when there is a respite the bike must be ridden. Gianluca wanted to pick up some bits at Treats today so we went there first. GL got his parts. We said hello to our buddies, and then we had to go ride around the Presidio. ;) Following that we lunched at Velo Rouge—a bicycle cafe. :)

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Take a little trip

Post by toratora » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:29 pm

We had some nice weather today. I didn't have time to go on a real ride, but I got to squeeze in some shopping. The classic GPR's little helmet holder is such a great feature. Here you can see I've got a pizza, two bags of snacks, and two 2 liter bottles of Coke Zero™. :lol:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: サンフランシコです

Post by toratora » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:39 pm

Went to go hang out with Greg today, but I didn't get enough info so I went to different place! I did a bunch of riding around in the city, and found a new place to take photos of the bike in Twin Peaks. ;)

Before I went out for a ride I did a bit of cleaning, and inspecting of the bike. I found this in the rear tire. Thankfully it didn't make it far enough into the tire to compromise it. :eek:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

he Red Power: Because we care

Post by toratora » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote::worship::worship::worship::worship: wish id paid the extra £100 for a Nikon D3300 with panorama feature coz my cheaper D3200 doesn't have it :(
Spudgun60 wrote:Why is it, that bikes in America are in such fantastic condition for their age? It's annoying.
XERO wrote:It's because a 16 year old can roll into a Dealership and buy an R1 if they want, no graduated licencing over here.
"Oh, I see you have cash and you want this Panigale R ... sign here please." There is nothing cool about buying a 50cc bike when you can have a real sport bike, and impress all your friends with wheelies.

Typically these little underachievers are purchased by "adult kids" looking to have some fun. My RS was purchased new by a girl in her 20's to learn how to ride on, she was realistic and took great care of the bike. Another reason is that the motorcycle market over here was never flooded with these bikes. So having 1 of maybe only 1000 - 1500, (or even less depending on the model) usually keeps them in the hands of those that value them.

Don't get me wrong though, there are plenty of heaps out there.
Most of the time these bikes lose their novelty after awhile and end up getting stuffed into a corner or under a tarp and slowly fade from existence. The lucky few that find them today in great shape should really consider themselves fortunate.
Molino wrote:Lol yep

http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/5374818918.html

Also take into consideration in California (at least some parts) there's little to no snow, so no rusty rust unlike us poor sods in the northeast :D
Don't laugh M, but that exact bike is being employed to "prove" to me that my Red bike is only worth a pittance. :eek:

Spuds you may remember how the Silver bike looked when I picked it up. I've actually put a fair amount of effort into getting it decent, and there's more to come. ;)

I think Xero summed it up pretty well. The ones that you see are generally owned by older folks that take special care of them. While in Europe these may be seen as Sixteener bikes here in the States pretty much the only people that buy them are enthusiasts. There are the occasional purchases for wives and girlfriends, but those tend to totally fail because if you are just learning how to ride you aren't going to be able to ride one of these bikes with other folks on liter bikes. Once you punk out the bike, and get your skill level up, then you can go out to the twistys, and totally demoralize a significant percentage of the liter bike population. :lol:

Ian—all of those photos were taken with my cell phone!

Of special note I've been chatting with my buddy Brett who lives in Kansas about actually doing GPR Camp. It most likely will be an August, or September affair. We are tossing around ideas. Like one day at the track, and one day riding in the hills. It will also probably be in the SF Bay Area—at least the first time. If you are interested in participating, or helping organize let me know. The numbers will probably be pretty small, but it should be a super fun time. :)
Clint Eastwood wrote:Well that's embarrassing' :o damn the smartphones to hell!:deadhorse: maybe i'm just a shite photographer :crybaby:
It takes time to learn how to photograph well. I have worked professionally in the field, however I wouldn't go so far as to say these photos of my bike are at that level. Again they are just snap shots from my phone. You can take a wide shot of something by standing far from the subject, and then crop the photo to give it that panoramic look.
Clint Eastwood wrote::cheers: :)
Molino wrote:Nah dude, that dude in Vermont is smoking crack. Once you crash a bike/use it as a farm bike/ take it off jumps its no way worth 1500$. $400 at best.

Your bike on the other hand could easily fetch 2000 or like $2500 if u brought it to like NYC or something.

But yes, these things are relatively rare here in the states and usually the ones who own them are adult-ish, I mean we're all sorta adults right? :D

Tora, if you do decide to do a rally type thing in Cali let me know. Maybe I can convince my friend with the truck to drive cross country lol.
I've been wanting to go to a rally for these bikes, but no one does them. The closest event is in Atlanta—the True Grits fun run, but it is a single day affair. Since I've organized events (big music events) I have the background to do it. Of course a rally is somewhat of a different animal. I've been talking with Benji about it too. The thing is even if it was small it would be a blast. I'd like to do both some street riding, and some track action. In Stockton I think we could get some time on their track, especially if it was on a Friday. Then we could do a Saturday ride in the hills. Maybe a Streets of San Francisco on Sunday.

I would hope my bike would easily fetch that! I've way more invested in it. I've had it appraised at ~$10K, which once you add everything up even that starts to sound like a low ball. I've been tracking prices of these bikes for quite a while. That 2005 was the last year you could buy a two stroke moto in the States has been steadily driving the prices up. Very frequently you see these bikes priced at their original retail price, or more. Without any viable options this is a trend I expect to see continue.
XERO wrote:Just up on eBay ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221996142619?rmvSB=true

They are out there. If I had some extra scratch to blow right now I would be road tripp'n it to VA !!!
555 miles on OD !!!
MINT !!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: The Decline of Western Civilization

Post by toratora » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Yeah I've seen it, it's been there for a few days now. ;) Even posted it to a bunch of my friends already. It's in pretty good shape. The owner did take off some of the decals though—which is a shame because the stock decals on that bike are pretty cool. As I said previously I've kept a pretty good eye on these bikes over the years. ;)

You've probably also seen the 2000 bike on the east coast for $5K. Yes these bikes do show up, and within quite a range. When the prices show up as low there are generally two reasons for it. Either they are beat, or the owner doesn't know what they have—or sometimes the owner knows what they have, and will want a lot for it even if it is beat. With most bikes it is unlikely that the value would go up beyond the retail price. But when the market disappears all the viable options—like when there are no new two strokes for sale—then the scarcity of a product can push the price up. There is a demand, but no source to feed it. This is a trend that is happening with all two stroke street bikes in the States, and other places too. Have you done any research on strokers in Japan? A Derbi in Japan goes for big Yen. Partially because it's a Derbi—which like here they are rare, but also because it is a two stroke.

Even in Europe the signs are starting to show up. Derbi no longer produces a GPR. Aprilia barely produces the two stroke RS4 50cc version, and is more intent on selling the 125 4T version. Used GPRs in good shape are starting to see a trend of increasing prices.

The only real hope we two stroke riders have is in the motocross world where people are finally starting to fight Honda (Honda is the reason for the downfall of the two strokes). Sadly in the GP world too strokers have succumbed to Honda's tactics. While Derbi and Aprilia were dominating the MotoGP 125 class they were selling the two stroke replicas. This was the one foothold strokers still had in the market. Honda killed the class (because they couldn't compete), and now instead of incredibly nice Replicas we have really crapy Groms. Thus the unwashed rush out to buy the Grom because they think it's cool. It's way too bad that Piaggio killed the GPX1. That might have stood a small chance of challenging the Grom (which totally ripped off the GPX1 look, style, and even name, but then used crapy parts).

Okay it's time to return this thread to its proper topic. ;) One of my classic Derbi GPRs. :lol:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Happy Birthday to me. :(

Post by toratora » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:39 pm

Woke up this morning to find my Silver bike on its side. :(

After I uprighted the bike (thanks to my neighbor for the help--the bike was kind of stuck under the truck), took some photos, and then went to check the video. Turns out that the wind knocked it over. :eek:

I can't believe how sad this makes me feel. I know it's just a bike, and I'll fix it, but damn. :(
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Aftermath

Post by toratora » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:39 am

After finding out about the bike I decided to fix it right away. I still wanted to go riding today. It took me all day to get the bike back together. I had to seriously forage through the parts boxes to come up with enough parts to get the bike road ready again. I also put on the side panels.

Richard showed up and we road over to Valencia Street. We them headed over to the Burger Joint where we met up with Greg, and Walter. The Burger Joint has some yummy veggie burgers, and sweet potato fries. :) The bike ran well, and made it back home. But it seemed to have some issues with the battery. But I'll save that for another post. :P

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Close Encounters of the Best Kind

Post by toratora » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:39 pm

In the effort to bring the Silver bike up to speed, I went over to Treats today, and picked up a Malossi intake, and a top wrist pin bearing.

I also opened up the package from France. I was able to source a couple of piston rings for the Metrakit top end that Greg gave me.

I'm getting closer! Now I need to get the pipe fixed, and source the exhaust manifold for a MetraKit Prorace. Greg hooked me up with a pipe, but it needs the manifold. With those bits I should be able to make this bike nice, and quick. ;)
0 x