Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: EasyParts Turkey Day Special

Post by toratora » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:39 pm

A box showed up today, and I was feeling a bit like Maru!

Most of what showed up were spares. Some of it is for when the Red bike goes back together, and some of it for the Black bike. Lots of things that were on the order didn't show up though. Have to check in with them to find out what's up. Still I got the wheel spacers so now I can start building the black bike. :D

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Presents

Post by toratora » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 am

ransamuels wrote:Wow! It's like emptying Santa's bag. :)
It does kind of feel that way when the box shows up. ;)

Even though most of these things are spares it's amazing how nice it is to have them around when you are wrenching. "Oh I need a...," and there it is in a box. :D

Also, for the same reason I like to do Bolt Depot orders. Have a bunch of spare bolts/nuts/washers/etc. makes it so nice when working on a project. Plus the bikes look nice having a bunch of stainless bolts all over the place. :p:

The real trick though, and I've yet to get this one totally handled, is knowing where you stored it when you need it. lolz :lol:

One of the things I've been doing is making bins for each project. As the parts show up they go into the proper bin. This is kind of how Treats sorts their parts, and if it works for them then it should be plenty good enough for me, right? :)
freedomgli wrote:Those are my goals each and every time I go for a ride. Love seeing all these updates, especially the pic with the GPR parked next to the RS50. It takes me back to the year 2000!

True. But they're a PITA to drill for safety wire. And they're heavier than necessary. But I still like stainless, especially for a bike that sees any inclement weather or gets parked outside even with a bike cover.

Ain't that the truth! You and me both brother. The worst is when you absolutely know you have something but cannot find it. I know I've got a spare Ohlins steering damper somewhere that's just a fraction shorter than the one on my workbench. But I can't find it at the moment.

I have big clear stackable bins that I put on big furniture dollies so I can easily move them to reconfigure my garage space, which is especially useful when sweeping up. I also have a bunch of heavy duty shelving in my basement, with one shelving unit dedicated (mostly) to each project. Unfortunately, the clear plastic bins don't fit neatly on the storage shelves so a lot of things are in the original cardboard shipping boxes, which I label with permanent marker. Still, things do get lost.
I like the idea of using the dollies to move things around. I'm probably going to construct some shelves because I've already had some of the containers fall. The shelves would provide added support. It does seem though that no mater how many containers you buy, there's always a need for more. lolz

Since I had to move everything around this year I am regularly running into that situation of knowing that I have something, but can't find it. This triggers the very best way to find something. Buy a replacement, and you'll find the one you knew you had almost always the next day. :p:
freedomgli wrote:Those are my goals each and every time I go for a ride. Love seeing all these updates, especially the pic with the GPR parked next to the RS50. It takes me back to the year 2000!
Yeah the RS guys mostly sold their bikes. One of them picked up an RC390, the other one a Ducati, and a Duke 390. That's had a dramatic effect on there being a lack of Aprilias on the rides. Ed bought Greg's bike which he has been riding, but it's got the old engine that Matt built up, and it's been having lots of issues. The most recent one being the clutch discs exploded! Treats had a nice Top clutch kit in stock so the bike got a new clutch pack. This was the first ride on the new parts. It seemed to do okay, but it was pushed because it was cold out so we were riding at a fairly mellow pace.

stevieboy22;4351704 wrote:The RC390 is a nice bike. I would have kept it but the service from the local KTM dealer was worse than poor. I sold it.
They are a nice design, but if you push the engine they blow up. There are so many folks that have had that problem with them, and KTM USA isn't very nice about taking care of their customers with issues. Check out the RC foros. My friend Rick had a terrible time with KTM USA.

I almost got one—not to replace the strokers, just as another bike. I don't think they are really in the same category. Anyway I test rode the Duke, and wasn't very impressed by the engine. The bike did handle nice, but I kept hitting the rev limiter. I'm sure I would have eventually gotten use to its power zones, but I found it disconcerting enough that when it came time to get a bigger bike I went for something else. :p:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: An SF Tour

Post by toratora » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 pm

My niece came to SF for the day, so I took her on a little two stroke tour of San Francisco.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Ring the Bell

Post by toratora » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:31 pm

My current Bell Star helmet replaced the one I was wearing when I was crashed. It's just about expired, and is going to need replacement very soon. This time of year is one of the best times to pick up a new helmet, and I've been really wanting to upgrade to the new Stars with the three layers of protection. Riders Discount has some amazing prices on the 2016 Bells right now, and I was fortunate to get one of the Race Stars.

The fit is much tighter than the TriColori 2013 model. Once it's on the 2016 really feels like it fits better. Taking it off does cause a bit of pain to the ears though. Guess I need to learn how to put it on, and remove it without difficulty. One really sad thing is there doesn't seem to be any easy way to mount the Sena. The 2013 has all sorts of accommodations for the intercom system, but the 2016 does not. That's rather disappointing.

The livery I chose was basically the brightest one I could get. Still I think it's a bit dark. I don't really understand this fascination with making helmets dark. Helmets are all about safety. That's why we wear them. The best sort of safety is active safety, and a bright helmet is likely to keep that Honda Civic driver from plowing into you in the first place. The Star I was wearing when I was crashed by the Honda Civic driver was mostly black. It had some bight green graphics, and was the brightest Star that they had at the time, but clearly it wasn't bright enough. The TriColori is nearly all white, and I've found I'm much better seen wearing it. The 2016 is called Triton Black/Silver. It's still got quite a bit of white, with gradients into silver, and the carbon fiber areas that are shown are pretty much black. There is a Rossi yellow graphic around the helmet to help with visibility, and some red stripes to accent.

The 2016 feels a lot lighter on the head as well. The 2013 doesn't feel heavy, but the 2016 is noticeably lighter. I think the TriColori livery is better looking, but there wasn't a whole lot of choice with the newer Stars if you wanted the thee layers of protection—and I really did. They did have a Pro Star called the Ratchet with more white on the front, but those sold off before my order for one made it through. I'm hoping that I can get the front vent in white as that will make this helmet significantly more visible from the front.

Like my previous Bell Stars the finish on the helmet is excellent. I would say that the quality surpasses the Rossi Five Continents AGV GP Tech that also sits on my helmet shelf. Other than the super cool graphics on the AGV I never really felt as confident with that helmet than with the Bells.

While I was messing around I decided to get the sewing machine out and fix up the covers.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: 2000-->2002/3 Front fairing Modification

Post by toratora » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:07 am

August 26th, 2012

I had a bit of time to get in some wrenching in the late afternoon—it went well into the night.

This was initiated by some parts that were part of a purchase of bits that I picked up to work on some motard action—I thought that Kelso would want these, although it seems that he's not interested in them. Later Owen donated some rather cool GPR bits. Combined together I had most of what I needed to do a 2000 to 2003/4 conversion on the Blue Bike.

There were more than a few changes to the frame from when they switch from 2000 to 2003—mostly for the lower skirts. Other issues include a higher mounted speedo which requires a different longer cable. The tach on the older bike is cable driven and on the newer bikes it is picked up from the plug cable. I wired this up, and the tach still didn't work. I'm thinking that it didn't work because the other connectors needs to run power to the tach. I'll have to check the wiring diagram. There were a bunch of other little things done at this time as well including, the side stand, bar ends, etc.

► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: 2000-->2002/3 Front fairing Modification Part II

Post by toratora » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 am

ScottyDog wrote:Tora is that your bike then? Looks sweet, I haven't picked up the new ones I bought like that. One is brand new never been licenced, just need to put the motor one and sort out the details. I'm not sure of the plan though, I wanted to use the motors for donors to my new model GPR's, then sell them off. Where I live the dealership closed down, but they have loads of parts still for the old style, so I want to find out if there is a way to cut a deal on some of the stock.

Looking forward to the changes, seen them done in red / white so they look like baby Ducati's!!
Additional conversion photos.

► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: ロブの宅急便

Post by toratora » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Picked up a crank at Treats today for RD's bike.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Aprilia Action

Post by toratora » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Some RS250 bits showed up on Craig's. Decided they were worth saving since I know a number of folks with RS250s. The guy that posted them was really cool. Long time two stroker. He sold off the RS many years ago, and had these parts taking up space. Obviously I had to go pick them up with the Derbi. ;)

There were some decals too. Have to get a photo of them posted eventually.
► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: High Ho Silver

Post by toratora » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:39 pm

The Silver bike is getting something special for GPR Camp 3!!

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Derbi—The Red Power: Stage6 Big Racing 77cc BBK

Post by toratora » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:39 am

Maxiscoot wrote:Details
Since its inception, Stage6 are committed to develop performance-enhancing tuning parts and don't shy away from tackling new tasks. As of now, they are getting into the market for geared mopeds by introducing the Stage6 Cylinder Kit Big Racing 77cc for Derbi Euro 2.

The cylinder kit includes:

77cc cylinder, aluminium, 50mm bore, with 5 transfer ports and 32mm bridged exhaust port
1-ring Vertex piston, d. 50mm
high compression cylinder head, monobloc, aluminium
gasket set (base and head gaskets)
The cylinder was developed in close cooperation with the MXS Racing experts; by benefitting from their considerable experience of gearshift mopeds and drawing from their own extensive technical know-how, Stage6 was able to design a thoroughly convincing new tuning cylinder.

The cylinder features a rather basic and inconspicuous exterior, but we all know that appearances can be deceptive. We're talking genuine ""Big Bore"" here – cylinder layout is not based on a modified standard model that was milled open to create a bigger bore, but was designed as a Big Bore right from the start, with matching transfer ports and a bridged exhaust port big enough to support the excess performance.

The BigRacing cylinders impress with ease of installation, outstanding performance, and high reliability.

- Installation is very easy, crankcase milling or any other modification are not necessary. Squish clearance is pre-set to a value optimized for the respective engine type.
- In terms of output, the BigRacing cylinders knock it out of the ballpark: we measured a whopping 23 PS and 13 Nm on our P4 test bench using a standard set-up (24mm carburetor, original ignition, racing exhaust etc.).
- Port timings are relatively low, cooling system volume is quite large and the piston is a top quality Vertex piston. All of these factors contribute to the cylinder's high dependability and robustness, provided that set-up and adjustments are appropriate.

Displacement is 77cc (50mm piston) and is accordingly not street-legal (in many countries). We strongly recommend a reinforced crankshaft with standard stroke.

The exterior is a replica of the original cylinder with a 49cc stamp; don't worry, this is definitely a 77cc cylinder!

Note: we recommend to use "long" cylinder head nuts to achieve correct torque when tightening the bolts.
2 x