Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Malossi In January

Post by toratora » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:39 pm

I was fortunate enough to enjoy a little bit of of riding on the Malossi bike. :lover:

Rj_666 wrote:I always forget how much I like those wheels -
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Rainy Days and Mondays

Post by toratora » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:39 am

Can't let a little rain keep you from riding!

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Future Track Days?

Post by toratora » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:39 pm

GPR Camp Prep. :lover:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Ride!

Post by toratora » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Time to start riding the bikes again...

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Center Stage

Post by toratora » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Babysteps...

scottydog;4236249 wrote:ohh..... ahh..... okay open the bloody boxes!!!!!
Steve / AF1 Racing;4236398 wrote:Stage 6 is great stuff, never had much luck finding a reliable vendor for them though.
They had a place in the States that distributed their stuff. I got a caliper from them back when I was trying to find caliper upgrades for the Black bike. That didn't work out because it uses smaller mounting bolts. I could have drilled the caliper, but decided not to do that to it. I ended up going with the AJP four piston caliper from the 125 2T.

Recently I've been getting the Stage6 stuff from Maxiscoot. They've been pretty good about the stuff.

Scotty, photos will come. Didn't have time last night. I did open it up this morning to take a quick peek. The Top Performance manifolds are really nice—and their are black! The top end looks pretty nice, but will require a bit of work to polish the exhaust port as there seems to be some spooge from the casting.
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: The Sixth Stage

Post by toratora » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:39 pm

I put most of the photos in the DRP thread, but here's some for this thread incase you just want a quick peek.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Living in a Photograph

Post by toratora » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:39 pm

Living in the Bay Area has it's advantages. This past weekend we got to take a workshop with Keith Code. He came up here for a special Doc Wong clinic. We got to ride the Faka mechanical bike, learn about aggressive front wheel braking, and proper body positioning. Super fun! Even got to do some bench racing with Keith. Was a great day. <3

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Totally Tubular

Post by toratora » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:39 pm

The oil feed tube on the Malossi bike split, and it was leaking precious two stroke oil all over the place. One of the issues with pulling the tube from the tank is that fluid leaks all over the place. So I made a nice little tool that could replace the tool whilst I replaced the split line. This kept more of the precious two stroke oil all over the place. With the new line installed it was just a bit of clean up. I may have to bleed the line before I run the bike again though. Have to keep an eye on it.

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: きれいですねえ

Post by toratora » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:39 am

stevieboy22 wrote:Wow is that thing clean!
It takes a lot of effort to clean them up, but they look so nice that way. :)
gsaltus wrote:That Stage Six Block looks rough. Are you going to port it?
Before I looked at the photos I had mostly intended to just polish the exhaust port, and match the cases (which I need to do because of the previous top end on the engine). From looking at the photos it looks like there are lips on many of the ports. These would of course create issues. I need to take a better look at the kit with some good light to figure what the plan will be for it. But yeah it looks pretty rough to be sure. Not a straight bolt on unfortunately.
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

The Red Power: Playing with studs

Post by toratora » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:39 pm

One of the things keeping the Red bike from going back together are the two dents in the frame. These were put in there when the bike was hit and run. I've researched a bunch of different methods to try and repair the frame and none of them really sounded all that acceptable. I took the frame over to a painter who without even asking me threw some aircraft stripper on the frame. I wasn't very happy about that let me tell you. Nor was I very happy about him taking his pocket knife to the finish either.

This removed a number of options—like pointless dent repair. Which might not have been all that viable anyway due to the thickness of the metal. There was/is the option of drilling holes in the back of the frame and tapping out the dents, then welding up the holes. That's probably the route I should have taken.

I picked up a stud welder, and attempted to repair the frame. Things didn't go all that well. I was able to bring the metal up a little bit, but the process did significant damage to the metal. The first three photos are of the first dent and the increasing damage that occurred with the stud welder. The fourth photo is of the second dent. Most of that dent came out, but the weld damage superseded any forward movement.

Even thought I cleaned the surface I had a very difficult time welding the studs so that they would hold. The slide hammer was way too much for them. I did have better success tapping around the dent with a hammer (a small one) while applying pressure on the stud.

The main reasoning for this action was so that I can get the frame powder coated again. It turns out that there are some fillers made for this very process. So the next step is to check in with the powder coater and ask about the Alvin's Lab Metal filler.

0 x