Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi

Post by toratora » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:39 pm

After nearly seven years in storage the Cagiva Mito returned yesterday. It’s going to take a bit of restoration effort to bring the bike back into shape. I noticed that the front disc is in pretty sad shape. I expect the pads are gonners too. The chain may come back with some care, but it might need replacement too.

Lots and lots of cleaning to do. The fork seals may also need attention. The intake manifold appears to be leaking which hopefully some sealer will attend.

Adding the Mito to my insurance police raised my annual rate another $204. That’s reasonable enough. Not sure what the CA DMV is going to want to extract from my veins annually, but I’ll probably keep this bike registered in CA. The yearly amount ranges between $125-$134 depending on location.

Anyway it is very nice to have it back. Big thanks to the Paz for fostering it, and bringing it back. :paw_prints:
2 x

Rj_666
Replica: 2 x Aprilia RS50
1 X Derbi Senda SM

Re: Mito no Ongaeshi

Post by Rj_666 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:43 pm

Nice to see the fabled Mito !
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: From the Distant Past

Post by toratora » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Found a photo of the Mito from the era when I last had it on the road. Got it insured again yesterday. Need to bring the registration up to date. Then see about cleaning it up. There’s going to be a fair amount of cleanup work required. :paw_prints:
2 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Re: Mito no Ongaeshi

Post by jkv357 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:47 am

I really like your Mito - especially without the lower fairing so you can see the engine.

Friend went to Barber last week and had a photo of a Cagiva 125 Freccia with the aero bodywork. I'd love to buy it, but the guy was asking $7500 IIRC. Just a bit out of my price range...
1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Skirts

Post by toratora » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

I had the skirts off to do some work on the bike. I had upgraded the rear shock, re-did the top end, and swapped the carb out for a 28mm Keihin. Was much nicer to ride after that effort. Pretty much all of the plastics need work on the bike. I’m going to try to source some NOS parts, and if I can’t find those then maybe get the fiberglass fairings for it. But that’s all down the road sort of stuff. :paw_prints:
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: As Seen on Craig’s List

Post by toratora » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Years before I bought the Mito it showed up on Craig’s list. Eventually I would negotiate a deal for it, but it would take a very long time. :paw_prints:

2 x

jkv357
Replica: '99 GPR EBE-075

Mito no Ongaeshi: Skirts

Post by jkv357 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:56 am

I've always like the look of just an upper fairing that shows the engine and gives a even flow above the centerline to the bodywork, but I understand why you would want it complete and original.

Like the Moto Guzzi MGS-01
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Current Condition

Post by toratora » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 am

The Mito is pretty solid in most ways, but it is going to need some effort before it is really ready to be back on the road again. Here are the photos from the previous Sunday when it came home. :paw_prints:

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Registration

Post by toratora » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:39 pm

It’s been quite a long time since this bike has had its tags refreshed! :paw_prints:
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

Mito no Ongaeshi: Mito Shock Upgrade with an RS 250 Conversion

Post by toratora » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:39 am

Some time ago back in 2012 I fitted an Aprilia RS250 shock to my Mito. It was suggested to me by Martin who gave me a basic understanding of what to do. I then took a bunch of measurements, and had JP do the machining on the shock for me. I also had to make some minor mods to the Mito. Here is the process.

I found a shock for sale on Craig's list here in the SF Bay Area. I was SHOCKED! So I went and bought that puppy. The previous owner had just upgraded his bike. But he had the stock shock worked on previously, and I'm pretty sure the spring wasn't stock. But it didn't matter I was just happy to get a decent shock for my bike. ;)

When I finally had a chance to install the shock on the Mito I was to learn that it wasn't quite as easy to install as I had expected.

Pretty much everything on the Mito is decent quality. The rear shock has preload adjustment on the spring, but it doesn't have either rebound or damping adjustment. The trick I had learned from Martin was to pick up a shock from the Aprilia RS250 which features all of those goodies. I was told that these could be found for around $50. I suppose that was some time ago since I watched for one of these for over a year, and the only one I saw come up was this one for $100, which of course I paid.

To get at the shock it because easier if the tank, seat, and air box are removed. Here are some shots of the stock shock installed. The lower bolt and nut are 14mm heads. The upper is an 7mm allen head special bolt with a 14mm nut.

The stock shock out of the bike.

The RS and Mito shock side by side.

Measuring the upper mount of the stock shock—22mm.

Measuring the upper mount of the RS shock—almost 30mm for a near 8mm disparity.

Measuring the lower mount of the stock shock—again 22mm.

Measuring the RS lower shock mount—just over 25mm for a 3mm disparity.

Some comparison photos.

Interestingly the RS shock has a threaded end. Unfortunately even though it is the same size the thread pitch is different.

So the shock is going to take a bit more machining action than presupposed, thus back in the box until it can be properly modified.

I then brought the shock to JP. He pushed out the bushing, machined the shock, and modified the bushing. Here's how the prepped shock looks.

Removal of all the stuff in the way of the shock--to remove the shock you can't support the bike from the swing arm/wheel area, that's why the jack stands are in place at the rear sets.

The first problem is that I must have given JP the incorrect dimensions as the upper mount still didn't fit. I had to introduce the busing to Mr. File.

Once that was overcome I could see that material would have to be removed from the top of the mount so that the shock could rotate enough to attach to the swing arm (and then later for range of motion during riding). Another thing I found--the reservoir fitting had to be placed facing down, or it would keep the air box from fitting in place.

Next up was the lower shock mount. The shock employs a different thread pitch than the bolts that come with the Mito--thankfully the shock came with the matching lower bolt.

The lower mount on the shock is wider than the swing arm so washers had to be fitted.

Later I would have to come up with a better mounting setup for the reservoir, but this will work for the time being.

Adjustment to the preload (it was set up for a 250)

Completed install

2 x