Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Micro Progress

Post by toratora » Mon May 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Mostly I'm just finding out what's needed to move forward with the bike. I'm clearly going to have to make a Bolt Depot order tonight, because I can't seem to find all the fasteners that I had previously ordered for the bike.

After I got the triples in place I had to spread out the lower clamps a bit to be able to slide in the forks. I only had enough bolts to cover the lower clamps so I'll have to order some for the top.

Rear sets are in place. I'm going to see if I can get some bobbins on the swing arm, so to hold the bike up in the mean time I'll employ the rear sets. The left side needs a rubber o-ring to keep the brake lever in place. At least I had the proper fasteners for them.

I had asked the powder coater to do the cradle in black, but it came back red. Oh well, it looks okay, but I'm sure there will be plenty of two stroke mess on it in no time.

Then it was prep and mount the front disc. I'm fitting the wheel on to be able to steady the bike. Because of the fork design I can't stabilize the bike with just the front forks. Later I'll have to pull the wheel to balance it. Seems like much of what I'm doing right now is just fitting.

Getting the controls back in place.

And a little micro taste of what the bike is going to look like. The white and red really seems to pop. Very happy about how it's starting to look.

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Harnessing the Future

Post by toratora » Wed May 23, 2018 1:39 am

Even with all of the photos I take I still find myself wishing that I took more. In this case I didn't take enough photos of the harness routing. Oh well have to do the best that I can, and figure it out. Before I started lacing it through the bike I got out the Simple Green, did some cleaning.

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Nano Nano

Post by toratora » Thu May 24, 2018 1:39 am

Feels like almost no progress at all, but there is some. The rear brake master is in place. Turns out I had two M6x30mm socket heads, and thus didn't need to wait for the Bolt Depot order to attach it.

I also installed the toe rubber on both pedals. And even had the proper bolt for the shift lever too.

There are three rubber grommets for the radiator. I need to clean up the radiator. I bought a brand new one, but it looks like hell so I'll need to spend some time cleaning it up. But for now I could install the lower of the three grommets.

I ordered two of the upper radiator shroud mounts, but they only had one in stock. I may have to use the better of the older ones, but I may have another one that I ordered some time ago. Have to do some more digging. I started to instal the one, but I need to properly secured the engine cradle before I can exert enough force to install it all the way. For that I must wait for the bolts.

Another thing I could do is get the fairing mounts in place. The lower rubber ones are just a slip-on so they were easy. The upper ones employ two sheet metal screws with washers. They are slightly larger than the #6 screws I can get from the Bolt Depot, so I need to come up with a good screw source.

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Overflow

Post by toratora » Thu May 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Was able to clean up the overflow tank. Not secured yet because I may still have to figure out some wiring.
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Boxes

Post by toratora » Sat May 26, 2018 3:39 am

Today was all about resources. I went to the Post Office to pick up a couple of boxes. One from Bolt Depot of course, and the other from Xero. Yeah anything from Xero means something really fucking cool has arrived. But before I could enjoy the unboxing it was off to the storage to try and find more parts. This was partially successful. I found things that I wasn't even searching for, but didn't find somethings that I was hoping to find. That's fine. I've got plenty with which to work on for now.

Lots of bolts.

From Xero this somewhat mysterious package. Inside to be found were bobbin mounts, and all the necessary items to install them including the proper size drill bit, and a mounting jig. As aways the quality is amazing.

Until I get the bobbins in place I'll be using jack stands to hold up the rear end. Up front the stand is viable.

I'm a little hesitant to run stainless bolts on the caliper, but I ordered them anyway. They look better, and are less likely to corrode, but they aren't as strong, and that could be an issue.

And I grabbed the engine this time. Hopefully soon it will find its way into the chassis.

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Fascination

Post by toratora » Sun May 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Slowly slowly making the progress. I keep running into not finding parts, and having ordered the wrong parts. In this case the rear rotor is for the older GPRs. Which I have, and will be able to use this disc, but I wanted a fresh one for this bike. Painted a few small parts, and was able to put a few more things together.

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Seat Time

Post by toratora » Mon May 28, 2018 7:39 am

I'm jumping the gun a little bit, but this is one of the items for which I had to search long and hard to obtain—the solo seat unit.
2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Step by Step

Post by toratora » Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Making some progress, and each day it comes a little bit closer. Found the proper rear rotor.

EasyParts only had one fender support. Even though they are plated they tend to corrode, so as a preemptive effort I paint them.

Even with the 125 2T air box the boot doesn't quite fit. This little mod worked previously, but I didn't have silicon sealer to use, so I had to remove the copper gasket in order to seal it with the silicon. This takes 24 hours to dry, so it can be placed on the bike for now, but that's about it.

Here is a total extravagance that will gain no real improvement, but what the hell. Titanium bolts for the cases.

The paint couldn't hold up to the torque, but it broke mostly in a clean way.

A few shots of the transfers, and case mods for the crank. These cases were matched to a Metrakit ProRace, so they don't match the Stage6 as well as would be preferred. It would be nice to match them to the Stage6, but it's not going to happen this time.

2 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Details

Post by toratora » Wed May 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Bunch of little detail work today. Got the side stand in place. Then needed to paint some stuff. These things are plated, but again it doesn't hurt to give them some extra protection. I probably should have gotten a stainless bolt for this one, but it will be fine. The washers are special so I just painted them too.

Found the carb so I cleaned it up.

Then I started working on the swing arm. The bushings weren't able to make it all the way through due to the powder coating. I had to remover from both sides to gain enough clearance. I also polished up the bushings a bit.

And I checked the case matching. It mostly in good shape. At least the cylinder is for the most part larger than the cases. Not as good as if they were totally matched, but will be okay.

1 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Fastener Paint

Post by toratora » Thu May 31, 2018 5:39 pm

More painting action of some parts. I did paint some fairing screws previously for another bike, and decided to give it a go on this one too as the black screws have a nicer look. These screw are all new, and without corrosion so hopefully they'll stay that way for a while.

1 x