Create a thread about your bike.
toratora
Replica: Derbi GPR
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Size Matters

Post by toratora » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Rj_666;4293182 wrote:Just out of curiosity, which size valve stems do the Derbi wheels use ?
I know KurveyGirl has a couple different sizes -
I don't remember the actual size, but it is the larger of the two that they sell.
XERO;4293921 wrote:Here's something interesting you might want to check out before you re-assemble those sexy powder coated rims ...
I have made new wheel spacers for my Aprilia (inner & outer), and found the Factory Inner ones are longer then the ledges the bearing's Outer Races sit on in the rim.

The Front Spacer for my Aprilia was +.020" and the Rear was +.025"

That's way more "side load" then I want on my new ceramic bearings !!!
Axial Load = Death

Another note, I always apply Silicone Sealer to the internal surfaces of Valve Stems when installing new ones.
Flat Tire = Death

That's a little melodramatic but you get the point ...
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Vibram of the Sole

Post by toratora » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:39 am

Vibram has a truck driving around the country doing resoling for footwear.

I was lucky enough to get a couple of pairs of my D-boots resoled. The first pair was free, and the second was only $20. The normal fee for this sort of thing is about $75. They came out pretty nice, and will add years to the viability of the boots.

They are slightly taller, and a little bit more stiff than they were previously. The grip is good, and they sit on the pegs nicely enough.

► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Measurements

Post by toratora » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Hey Xero,

I'll do some measurements to see how the Derbi wheels compare. Considering how the spacers work it seems like if they are slightly larger there wont be an issue, but if they are smaller, then there would be one. The bearings don't actually need to go all the way to the shelf since it's the outer surface of the bearing that carries the load. At least that's my understanding of how these work.

The silicon sealer sounds like a good idea. There is some sealer or something that comes with the valves—I haven't actually done the install yet, just the basic fitting to check them out.
XERO;4294466 wrote:You are correct with a long spacer being better then a short one, however ...
When we install bearings we press them in by applying force to the outer race, .020" isn't much when we're talking about taps of a hammer or such.
That means that the inner race will begin being loaded outwards once contact is made with the spacer.

I know this might all sound trivial but it's worth a look if one is spending coin on new bearings.
I have over $200 invested into the wheel bearings for my RS :eek: ... right !!!
All of my other bikes have had spacers just on the + side of perfect, the RS was extreme based on my previous encounters which is why I brought it up.

Here's another FU from Aprilia ...
So it turns out the Front Axle is smaller in diameter then my Balance Stand shaft.
Considering I have the same Balance Stand as almost every Motorcycle Shop does, I guess that explains why there were no wheel weights on my Front Rim.
You would think that a Shop might be like "hey" when they put new rubbers on for you ...
Or not ... LOL

Anyways, your progress is looking good !!!
Can't wait to see it all together !!!
I've been doing my own tire changing for a while now. I recently picked up the Harbor Freight balancer. Previously I wasn't balancing because well I couldn't, and since these bikes mostly run under 50 mph it didn't matter so much. Still it's nice to be balanced. ;)

I used it on the converted Track bike. I think the Derbi uses the same axel on the front as the rear. I though about going for ceramic bearings for the Black bike. I think the reason I decided not to go for it was time. But then I gave up on getting this bike ready for GPR Camp. lolz Having a job really makes it much harder to get project to move forward. :P

I'll check on the wheel measurements when I put the bearings in. They and the spacers seemed to have been put away in a really terrific location, because I have yet to find where I put them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Discovery

Post by toratora » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:39 pm

I finally found these! Super happy about it. Still missing one of the spacers, but this is a great start. :P

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: The Languish

Post by toratora » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:39 pm

I know this project seems to be languishing--well it is actually. Still there is progress. The rest of the case bolts came today. I had mis-ordered the first time, and didn't get enough of the 50mm bolts. =8<>

I hear that Chinese titanium is better than stickers for added HP! :lol:

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Plastic, Non-Stop

Post by toratora » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:39 am

Oh the sexy!

0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Ninja Master

Post by toratora » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 am

Before the Reactivation Project started I had once fitted a Ninja pipe to this bike. It's a nice mid-range pipe. Here's the adventure from way back in 2011!

November 12th, 2011

I stopped by Treats today where they hooked me up with the Ninja pipe. By the time I got around to installing it the darkness had come, and I pretty much had to install it by brail. The installation went well enough, just took much longer than it should have. Once the pipe was installed I started up the bike it sounded great.

I took it for a test ride and found that the bike develops a lot more power although it has shifted up to 9k way past where it was with the stock pipe. I'm somewhat concerned that I'll need to get some better crank bearings because now the engine runs mostly in the 9k to 14k rpm. Actually I think it will pull past 14k although I thought it unwise to give it the opportunity with the stock crank and bearings. :P

Additionally, the pipe was fitted with a restrictor. I almost didn't notice it right at the tail end of the pipe where the stinger connects–of course I removed it. :P

► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: The Öhlins Experience

Post by toratora » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:39 am

In June of 2012 I had finally figured out how to fit an Öhlins shock to a GPR. It wasn't easy in any imaginable way. Through a lot of research, time, effort, and much elbow grease though I had realized yet one more little dream for my GPR. Here is the story as told back in 2012.

June 1st, 2012

At this point in time this is probably the most difficult upgrade/mod I've performed on the GPR. Most of the work I've done on the bike has been straight forward, however this one was a challenge again and again as I progressed through the process. Because I didn't really photo the challenging parts (I was too busy dealing with them) I'll make mention of them through out the post. Be it known I had to do a lot of things to get this to function.

► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Bearings Straight

Post by toratora » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 pm

The wheel spacers from Easy showed up. The front wheel spacer didn't look correct. Thankfully the original ones turned up so I did some measurements. The front replacement unit wont work. It's to wide and the centering unit wont fit in the hub of the wheel. decided to employ the original one, but then discovered the seals bearings I bought weren't sealed! Had to strap the whole process. It is truly amazing how long this project is taking!

► Show Spoiler
0 x

toratora
Cagiva Mito
Cobra CX65
Aprilia RS50

DRP: Getting the Bearings

Post by toratora » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:39 pm

Made it out to Treats today to swap out the bearings for the seal version. Got them in the freezer so hopefully I'll be able to get these wheels put together soon.

0 x